Chapathi from stone ground whole wheat atta


Fed up with the US ban on Atta flour from popular brands like Pillsbury, Sujatha etc
I was forced to find an alternative.
Indian stores near my place sell the other available brand atta only in 20lb packs. I couldnt get a positive verdict from my friends' circle on those brands either. Luckily, Whole foods sell whole wheat atta in loose meaning you could buy as much quantity as you want. So I bought just 1 cup (yes I mean it) and tried Today.
The chapathi puffed up like a poori. :-)
It tasted so good and soft. I think I may be sticking to this flour for awhile. This is as good as Pillsbury. And healthy too as it is whole wheat. HURRAY!

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I got the stone ground whole wheat atta fom walmart and made chapathi. It came out to thick like rubber. Can you send me the excact procedure for making the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Balaji,
    I just added little salt and nearly 55% cold water to the flour and kneed it. The dough must be soft and slightly sticky. I kept it for abt 2 to 3 hrs before making the chapathi. Then while rolling I used dry flour to ease up the rolling. Heat the tava. just wipe it with a tissue slightly soaked in oil - so as to slightly coat the tava. Not too much oil. Then put the chapathi and when one side is little warmer, flip it. when both sides are warmer, gently with a slightly damp tissue, press down the chapathi. You can see it swelling up. Keep the heat medium to high flame and adjust time to time. WHen the chapathi fluffs a little, drizzle few drops of oil/butter if you wish.
    Hope it works out for you. With this whole atta, the one drawback is it stays soft while it is fresh and hot.Well it is a compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayaraj,

    :) That was funny. And you know what..those were my words (or pulambal) sometime back. Then one fine day I got the knack. I used to be dreadful if guests come and i had to make chapathi.. ;) I will somehow avoid it but now it is no more a nightmare. So it is just a matter of time and practice. Or..I guess you are a guy, so if you are a bachelor yet, just hang on to the hope that your future wife might be a chapathi queen (in making not eating.. ;) ).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...