Mushroom Briyani


I had some chicken soup leftover from my lunch menu. Just formulated a quick briyani recipe using that soup and Gosh, it came out delicious. Substitute water for chicken soup if you wish. I think it will be of less flavor but still must make a perfect mushroom briyani.

The recipe below is for 1 hungry person. :-) Sorry I am the only non-vegetarian in my home. (My son ofcourse is non-vegetarian but he doesnt consume much)
  • Wash and soak 1 cup basmati in 1 cup water for about 30 mins
  • In a hot pan, add whole garam masala, green chillies, bay leaves
  • Add thin sliced onions and saute until they turn light brown
  • Add ginger-garlic-coriander paste and fry until raw smell goes
  • Add 1 string of mint leaves and 1 handfull of cilantro and fry till they wilt
  • Add thin slices of mushroom and fry for a min
  • Add 1 sp water and stir the mushrooms in
  • Add 1sp of any briyani masala you may have
  • Add 1 sp curd (plain yogurt) and mix well before the curd breaks down
  • Pour 1.5 cup of chicken soup (or 1.5 cups of water)
  • Stir the contents and add the rice without draining
  • Add salt if needed (the soup will have salt already - so be wary of it)
  • Cover the pan with a tight lid and let it cook in medium high flame for 8 mins
  • When you see craters forming in the surface and almost all water is evaporated, turn the heat down to the lowest possible
  • Let it simmer for about 5 mins
  • Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita

I may try the same recipe without chicken soup next time, so my dear husband can also taste it. For that vegetarian version, I plan to add all the soup ingredients to the briyani directly and see if I can come up with a decent dish. So stay tuned. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...