Brown Rice Porridge (Kanji)































Makes 1 Serving.

1/2 cup Brown Rice
3 cups Water
2 Garlic Pods with Peel
6 Whole Pepper (Milagu)
1/8th tsp Cumin Seeds (Seeragam)
1/8th tsp Methi Seeds (Vendhayam)
3 small Green Chillies
3 Curry Leaves
1/2 tsp Salt (per taste)

Pressure cook all of the above for a good 3 whistles. (about 20 mins) and then simmer the flame to lowest possible and leave for another 10 minutes. Then turn off the stove.

After the pressure releases, slightly mash the contents with the back of a ladle (Typo correction courtesy: Thx to whomsoever it may concern :-) )
Serve hot with any chutney. Coconut chutney goes well with this. Puthina chutney, Coriander chutney anything would pair well with this comfort food. I survived on this when work was crazy busy.
Just toss all of them in the cooker and forget till it is done. No grinding, no chopping, no frying, no stiring, heck you need not even peel the garlic. :D Just the lethargy to cook drove me into this concoction that I named Brown Rice Kanji. This tastes very closer to my favorite Kanji served during my hostel days. I tried so much to get the recipe from the hostel caterers but could not. I am so glad I could come up with this one which is a close cousin of that.

I tried to add Quinoa to the mix but that was a failure... so I spare you all from that experiment. It tasted awful... like a glue with wooden sticks.. Why am I saying this? Welll think of that taste and compare it to this one, you will like this kanji even better by comparison. LOL Kidding. This tastes better even otherwise.

It gives me ideas to try Ven Pongal with the same recipe. Ok Ok I get it Brown Pongal. Will post a recipe when I experiment that.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...