Spicy Okra

My husband was wishing to have spicy okra from a near by Indian restaurant and for the past few times, they did not have it in the menu. Now I have never done a spicy okra dish before. Yet I wanted to give it a try. I just came up with my own recipe and really did not have high hopes for it. That explains the casual mobile click of the finished dish. But boy oh boy, my husband remarked "This is by far the best among all your preparations. Do not change a thing about it."
when I realized I do not have a half decent picture to feature it in the blog, well it is too late, the pan had none. Well at least I am left with the mobile click that I took to share with a good friend of mine over chat. And more importantly jotted down the recipe - else how will I honor my husband's words "Do not change a thing about it" given my infamous memory power. ;-) Okay lets cut to the chase. Let me share the recipe. Pardon the poor format - running short of time, hence the clumsy notes.












Recipe:
-slice okra (about 40) lengthwise in half- let it sit for 15 to 30 mins so that they dry up a little- oil + okra -> fry on medium until they wilt, sprinkle salt and cook till done (all the stickiness should be gone by now)- meanwhile, in another pan -> oil+cumin seeds+hing+1 green chilly+curry leaves+ ginger garlic paste (2 garlics+1 inch gnger) -> saute well- add 1/2 red onion finely chopped -> saute till done- add salt + turmeric powder -> saute for couple more minutes- add finely chopped tomato (1) -> saute till done- add the following mix of masala:1 tsp of red chilly powder2 tsp of dhania powder1/2 tsp of garam masala powder1/8 tsp of fennel powder1/8 tsp of cumin powder1/2 tsp of curry powder1/2 tsp of fish curry powder- saute the spices and onion-tomato mixture along with 1/2 tsp of oil till the spices are cooked and is no more smelling raw- coarse grind 2 garlic with peel, 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp of whole pepper (must really be coarse - just 1 quick run in the mixie)- transfer the okra to a plate and in the same pan add 1/2 tsp of oil, 1/2 tsp of ghee- season it with 1 indian red chilly, 1 thai red chilly, curry leaves and the coarse ground  pepper garlic - add the onion tomato masala -> stir well- add the okra, saute for a couple more minutes so that the masala coats the okra- delicious spicy okra is ready!- serve hot or cold with chapathi or have it as a side for rasam / curd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...